I was running a Resolving Objections workshop a few weeks ago and I always start by getting the group to call out the most common objections they face and I write them on a flipchart to work with later in the day. I always jot down the objections after the workshop and I have noticed that whatever the industry and whatever the product/solution being sold, the same objections appear again and again. As an aside, it amazes me that sales people getting the same objection day after day don’t change their approach (normally shock, horror, stumbling speech and concession).
So back to the objections, here is a generic list that I have built from my workshops:
1. AAA (company) offers more options than you.
2. Your price is too high (what never heard that before!)
3. I don’t like your BBB (product/solution)
4. CCC (company) are doing a better job in this area
5. Solve all my problems, then I’ll listen to your suggestions for new products
6. Your product/solution doesn’t have the features we are looking for
7. My boss isn’t authorizing anything at the moment
8. I’d love to do it, but I just don’t have budget
9. I don’t have time now, send me some literature
10. I’m happy with my current supplier
11. You’re the third sales person this year
12. Company DDD does it cheaper
13. I bought from you 3 years ago and it was a horrible experience, why should I do business with you now
So there are 13 on the list, some that are almost duplicates. I always say that the 10 most common objections that you hear will cover 90% of all the objections you face, so why not learn how to resolve them? I will cover a structured way to resolve objections in a later post (or posts). In the meantime are there any I should add to my list from your experience, please let me know.